Upington, ZF Mgcawu District Municipality, Northern Cape Province, South Africa
Physical address: 24 Schroeder Street, Upington, 8801
GPS coordinates: 28°25’51.96”S; 21°14’04.71”E
- Number of jobs to be created: A total of 400 jobs will be created through this project.
- Investment value: The total value required for the project is R800-million.
- Targeted sectors: Aeronautics.
The investor identified a need to develop an MRO in South Africa and the viable location for it is Upington due to its arid climate, long airport runaway (5 km) and other factors. The establishment of an Industrial Park in Upington is also a critical factor leading to the success of this project as it offers lucrative incentives and other enabling factors.
The investor intends to develop an aviation park to accommodate maintenance, repairs and overhaul of aircraft, and R&D. These activities will also include airline storage, dismantling, scrapping, painting and internal refurbishment.
Project financed by:
- The project will be financed by the private sector with the government providing enabling infrastructure.
- The Business Case and Feasibility Studies have been completed.
- Private sector
- Provincial government
- Local government
- Northern Cape Economic Development, Trade and Investment Promotion Agency (NCEDA)
Companies or investors operating in the sector may contact the project promoters for additional information. Kindly use ‘MRO Facility’ as reference in your subject line.