- African Travel Week deadline for new ‘Reigniting Africa’ category on June 30
- Award category recognises the most impactful, story-driven COVID-19 campaign
Tourism and Destination marketers have just one month to submit their entries for the ‘Reigniting Africa’ award, a new category in the African Travel & Tourism Awards event aimed at recognising the continent’s most impactful, story-driven COVID-19 campaign.
The ‘Reigniting Africa’ Award recognises and rewards those incredible campaigns that emerged to keep us connected, engaged and inspired on the African continent during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Says Megan Oberholzer, Portfolio Director: Travel, Tourism and Creative Industries at Reed Exhibitions Africa: “We want to highlight those unforgettable story-driven consumer or trade campaigns that brought the Africa destination to life; Those campaigns that use an authentic and creative narrative, not only to give viewers a taste of the destination’s culture, natural beauty, history, and vibrancy, but also to portray the tourism destination positively and to entice visitors to return.”
Submissions for the Reigniting Africa Award will be judged on tone, visibility, messaging, and brand perception by an independent panel of industry experts, including:
- Septi M. Bukula – Founder and Director: Seeza Tourism SME Network and Acting Chair: Tourism Growth & Transformation Committee | TBCSA
- Naledi Khabo – CEO: Africa Tourism Association
- Clare Dewhirst – Founder and Director: City Nation Place
- Dionne Mudie – MD: The Publicity Workshop
- Gabriella Ribeiro – Owner: TRUmarketing
The winner will be announced at a special awards evening during Africa Travel Week at partner venue, GOLD Restaurant, in the Host City of Cape Town.
“This is an incredible opportunity for any Destination Marketing Company, Tourism Board, Marketing, public relation, communication, advertising and branding firm, Start-up, and Brand and Digital experts to showcase their inspirational campaigns that sought to reignite travel during COVID. Similarly, if you admire a campaign you feel fits the profile, encourage its organisers to submit their entry before the new deadline,” concludes Oberholzer.
Only campaigns executed in the period from 01 January 2020 to 30 May 2021 will be eligible for the Reigniting Africa Award.