The Eastern Cape Investment Conference held at the International Conference Centre in East London in October 2022 was a resounding success with new investment projects amounting to R46.08-billion being announced and recently-launched investment projects in the province profiled.
Speakers included Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane and a number of investors who spoke about their experiences in investing in several transformative sectors. These included: manufacturing – Lisen Bitumen; primary agriculture – Al Mawashi; ICT and digital services – Google South Africa, Mercedes-Benz South Africa ICT Hub; automotive – Isuzu, Mercedes-Benz, Orion Engineered Carbon; renewable energy – SunFarming, Hive Energy, Seraphim, Bushveld Electrolyte; agro-processing – Twizza; film – Survivor; aquaculture – Zwembesi, KingFish Enterprise; economic infrastructure – Transnet, SANRAL.
The following new investments were unveiled:
- Shoprite distribution centre, R1.5-billion
- Tshedza Pictures, R85-million
- Transnet Port of Ngqura, R1.59-billion
- Benteler, R168-million
- SunFarming, R500-million
- Mhlobiso Concrete, R9.5-million
- Toyota Material Handling, R60-million
- Sanaha Property Developments, R542-million
- Sanral, R7.23-billion
- Aqora Lithium Battery, R34.4-billion
The one-day event was presented in a hybrid format, offering in-person and virtual participation for private and public sector participants. Public sector infrastructure investment projects that further enable the Eastern Cape investment environment were also showcased.
The Conference prioritised sectors and industries that are poised to better transform the structure of the economy towards inclusive development. The Conference showcased the advances the province has made with regards to investor coordination and facilitation across provincial, district and local spheres.
Focusing on targeted sectors allows the province to demonstrate investment projects in the implementation and planning phase, detail the investment landscape for niche investment projects and encourage domestic and international investors to partner with the Eastern Cape province on investment projects.
Investment project showcasing was presented across the following sectors:
- Primary agriculture
- ICT and digital services
- Renewable energy
- Economic infrastructure
During the time in office of the current administration, the sixth administration, a cumulative investment total of R171.45-billion has been achieved. This has resulted in the creation of 21 664 direct jobs opportunities.
This cumulative investment total from 2019 to 2022 is derived from:
- Private sector investments: R7.51-billion
- Public sector investments: R22.8-billion
- Private sector investments (January to October 2022): R95.06-billion
- New investment announcements at conference: R46.08-billion
The objectives of hosting a Provincial Investment Conference are to:
- Position the Eastern Cape as an attractive investment destination.
- Attract quality greenfield and brownfield investment projects into the Eastern Cape.
- Coordinate investment attraction efforts across spheres of government in the province.
- Direct investment into strategic and labour-intensive sectors to address under investment.
- Promote investment facilitation and aftercare services offered to investor community in the province.
- Strengthen the Eastern Cape investment project pipeline.
To enquire about opportunities to set up or expand your business in the Eastern Cape province, please contact the Eastern Cape Development Corporation (ECDC) with a brief introduction to your objectives: