Background to Bergrivier Municipality
Bergrivier Municipality is situated in the West Coast District of the Western Cape Province. The Municipality covers a geographic area of approximately 4 408 km². The Municipality is geographically diverse and includes 9 urban settlements, approximately 40 km of coastline and a vast rural area.
Aspects of particular importance to the Municipality are local economic development, the protection of biodiversity, coastal management and climate change adaptation.
Infrastructure priorities in Bergrivier Municipality
- Remove and/or repair derelict structures, jetties and shipwrecks.
- Provide infrastructure upgrades and landscaping to enhance visual impression of Velddrif/Laaiplek from the entrance of the town and to attract investment for retail/commercial activities.
- Provide building maintenance.
- Increase the amenity value of Laaiplek Harbour, by means of infrastructure (civil and marine) upgrades and landscaping, and market Laaiplek Harbour as a tourism destination, most notably for bird watching.
- Dredging of harbour to allow passage of ships.
- Provide sufficient public parking facilities and enhance access to the harbour wall and beach by means of walkways/boardwalks.
- Prevention or mitigation of further coastal erosion to protect land.
- Provide space for small commercial and fishing industry retail activities and support services.