The Small Harbours and State Coastal Property Development project
Operation Phakisa – a broad national strategy to tackle projects that will reap benefits quickly – has a number of priority streams, one of which is the Oceans Economy.
The Oceans Economy has been chosen as one of the key sectors for Operation Phakisa because of the massive opportunity to create value that resides onshore and offshore.
As part of the Oceans Economy strategy within Operation Phakisa, a unit within the National Department of Public Works has been created, the name of which explains its mandate – the Small Harbours and State Coastal Property Development (SH&SCPD) unit.
The Northern Cape province has been allocated an increased quota for landing fish (primarily hake) which makes Port Nolloth more attractive as a site for investors in fish processing. A pilot abalone ranching project located south of Port Nolloth will start operating soon.
Bigger plans are under way to convert Port Nolloth into a deepwater port capable of receiving large vessels. Both a pre-feasibility study and a follow-up Gap Analysis have been done, and the plans have been registered with the provincial and national Treasuries.
In terms of the Small Harbours and State Coastal Property Development project, plans for Port Nolloth include the creation of a waterfront for retail and tourist activity, expanding fishing and aquaculture, and developing a boat-building and maintenance industry.
The Namakwa District Municipality is one of five district municipalities in the Northern Cape and the only one with access to the coast. Each of the three coastal local municipalities within Namakwa DM will be the focus of a project on Public Works land, brokered by the Small Harbours and State Coastal Property Development unit.
- A new harbour development with economic activities such as alluvial mining, boat-building and maintenance, fishing and aquaculture and the development of a waterfront.
- Development of coastal property; with economic activities such as alluvial mining, aquaculture and fishing.
- Development of coastal property; with economic activities such as aquaculture and the creation of an economic zone.
Learn more about Operation Phakisa, the Oceans Economy and the Small Harbours and State Coastal Property Development project.
Northern Cape Provincial Government
- Department of Economic Development and Tourism: www.economic.ncape.gov.za
- Namakwa District Municipality: www.namakwa-dm.gov.za
- Coastal local municipalities: Richtersveld LM; Nama Khoi LM; Kamiesberg LM.
- Coastal assets include: Alexander Bay, Port Nolloth, Hondeklip Bay, Koingaas and Kleinzee.