2023 Coal & Energy Transition Day
Meeting Energy Needs for the Future
Tuesday 18 July 2023
The last 12 months have proved an interesting time for coal. The imposition of sanctions on Russian coal by Western countries has led to a reduction in supply on the global market, which has driven up prices and created opportunities for other coal-producing countries, including South Africa.
However, conversations around decarbonization and net zero emissions are ongoing and there is still pressure on South Africa to take steps to implement the transition away from coal and the shift towards greener energy solutions, while taking into account the economic, social, and environmental factors around coal mining in the country.
At the second edition of the Coal & Energy Transition Day, leaders from government, coal producers, alternative energy providers, investors, funders and independent experts will discuss key issues such as:
- What is the impact of current geopolitical developments on global energy needs?
- Are we seeing an extension of the life of coal as a result?
- What will Southern Africa’s future energy mix look like?
- What actions does the industry and government need to take to begin the energy transition and move away from coal?
- What is the role of renewable energy in the energy transition?
- What are Eskom’s plans for meeting increasing energy demand and its views on coal and alternative energy sources?
- What are Transnet’s plans for increasing capacity and protecting its rail infrastructure?
And much more…
For more information, go to https://www.coalindaba.com/other-indabas/coal-and-energy-transition-day