Upington Algae Plant
The establishment of a national facility for the development and demonstration of various microalgae technologies to be used in the production of high-value biochemical products with high commercial potential. The ultimate aim in the establishment of an Algae Park/Hub which will impact on economic- and socio-economic development and present opportunities for investment in Upington and in the region.
- Economic sector: Agriculture
- Economic sub-sector: Agro-processing – for the extraction of high-value biochemicals for the nutraceutical, cosmeceutical, pharmaceutical and diagnostic industries (amongst others).
- Feasibility study completed;
- Business plan developed;
- Funding secured from the Technology Innovation Agency (TIA), R25.7-million;
- Funding secured from the Small Enterprise Development Agency (SEDA), R9.4-million.
- Securing of R9-million for the bricks and mortar phase of the facility;
- Implementation of the pre-construction phase;
- Commencement of the construction (pre-operational) phase;
- Commencement of the operational phase(s).
- Economic- and socio-economic development;
- Job creation, especially in the future Algae Park;
- High-level technical and business training for career development;
- Increase exports;
- Reduced imports;
- Opportunity for investment in Upington and the Northern Cape.
- R500 000 to appoint a Service Provider to secure the funding required for the bricks & mortar portion of the Centre within the next four – six months;
- R9.142-million for the bricks and mortar portion of the Centre.
Interested parties are encouraged to contact the project team with a brief description of their interest(s) in being part of the project: