The East London Industrial Development Zone (ELIDZ) has establishment a dedicated team to focus on the needs of the General Manufacturing sector and has been involved in major talks with various multi-national companies interested in locating within the Zone.
The following sectors are being targeted for local procurement by the Eastern Cape Government and offers opportunities to manufacturers in the ELIDZ:
- The platform exists to host producers of white goods, office and school furniture.
- Pursuant to the increased local procurement of medical devices, the ELIDZ is open to expanding its latex cluster. With one company currently setting up, opportunities to share services can be investigated.
- Opportunities exist to explore the local manufacture of ARVs and supplementary medications.
Clay Beneficiation / Building Materials Production
- A huge local procurement drive for building materials is underway. Roof tiles and ceramic tiles are among the identified materials that offer opportunities.
- The Eastern Cape has the largest deposits of good quality Kaolin clay in South Africa. The mines are currently under-exploited and an opportunity exists for partnerships to be created between local and international miners and the municipality to mine this mineral and increase local production of ceramic tiles. The mines are <150 km from East London where tile manufacturing can take place.
- Shale clay, used in brick manufacturing, is also being mined in the Eastern Cape. Mixed with kaolinitic clay, it creates greater elasticity.
- With access to both these minerals in close proximity, brick and tile manufacturing opportunities exist.
SMME factories measuring from 248 square metres upwards have been conceptualized to accommodate smaller operating entities.
Contact the East London Industrial Development Zone (ELIDZ)
Interested investors/businesses are asked to contact the ELIDZ below; kindly use as reference in the subject line: General Manufacturing Opportunities