South Illovo Auto Supplier Park
- Catalytic Project: Category B (projects in preparation)
- The Supplier Park is a strategic imperative to reduce logistical costs and create an enabling environment.
- It is going to centralize production, assembly, sequencing and warehousing facilities that are within close proximity to the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s), such as Toyota and any new entrants.
- Through the KZN ASP, companies will benefit from economies of scale (land development, construction, shared services concept and logistics hub, and infrastructure).
- Dube Trade Port has been appointed as a developer by the provincial government.
- Investment Value: R6.5-billion
- Annual Rates: R1.2-million
- Construction Jobs: 2 600
- Permanent Jobs: 6 000
- Other Benefits: Mixed-use development, upgraded bulk infrastructure for the Southern areas
- Illovo LAP associated environmental studies finalised in June 2016
- Market study was finalised in June 2016
- 100 ha site identified for Phase 1 was transferred to DTP as development agency in July 2016
- DTP is currently preparing a Rezoning and Sub-division application
- ASP Working Group established to unlock major infrastructure
- The preliminary desktop assessment undertaken, which include a review of the topographical map and geological map
Key issues / challenges
- The limited time to deliver a world class international services standards ASP site with platforms by 2017, and an expectation of a world class manufacturing sector by 2018
- Funding mechanism required for major infrastructure: access onto N2, Bulk Water, Waste Water & Solid Waste
- Reserve determination study requires mitigating measures as a pre-condition
- Monitoring implementation of LAP land use, environmental mitigation majors and progress thereof to facilitate rezoning EIA approval
- Act 70 of 70 and facilitate Town Planning application
Response and way forward
- A year calendar with monthly ASP Steering Committee meetings are scheduled
- Stakeholder forum are scheduled with DOT, DTP and SANRAL
- Town planning application is being finalised
- Budget for bulk infrastructure upgrade is being mobilised: Access via N2, Bulk Water Waste Water & Solid Waste
*As at March 2017
Contact / enquire
For the most current update on opportunities, project progress, outstanding actions and investment requirements, please contact Invest Durban.