The Joe Gqabi Online Tourism Portal is an e-commerce initiative and aims to unite some of the fastest growing technologies, such as communications and information technology, the hospitality industry, and strategic management / marketing / planning. Online tourism activities involve tour operators, travel agencies and other entities with tourism-related interests in the virtual space through a dedicated portal. The internet has revolutionized the travel industry both as a source of information and as a sales channel.
The objective of the Joe Gqabi Online Tourism project is to identify, document, research, present and make easily accessible a series of Tourism Sites and Bed and Breakfast establishments with localized, provincial and national significance. It is also to expose as much as possible all the Tourism Related Investment Opportunities.
The Agency has repurposed its website from a traditional website into one that is more modern and interactive. It is via this website that we wish to provide the platform for all our Tourism Operators to widen their range of bookings. Each operator will be afforded space to promote their business at no charge to them.
Targeted establishments include tourism sites, Bed and Breakfast / Guest House establishments and other Tourism Related Investment Opportunities.
The website is currently hosted on the Jogeda’s website and we are now in the process of getting local B&B’s to list their establishments on our website.
Primary Drivers & Investment Proposition
- The district has a number of dams, such as the Gariep and HoloHlahatsi dams, that provide opportunities for water-based activities.
- The tourism potential of the hot springs at Aliwal-North has not been fully realised.
- Various historical and cultural tourism development opportunities present themselves within the district.
- There is potential for the development of game farms with hunting activities in the region of Venterstad and Steynsburg.
- Development of a nature-based tourism.
Main tourist attractions in the area include:
- The Orange River;
- Enroute or ‘stop over’ tourism along the ‘friendly N6’
- The Gariep Dam;
- Aliwal North Spa (mineral spa);
- The Southern Drakensberg Mountains. The Drakensberg allows a great variety of outdoor recreational and adventure activities such as fishing and mountain biking.
Type of Private Sector involvement required:
- Public-Private Partnership
- Potential advertisers on the website
Investment Requirements (ZAR)
- Total Project Cost: R 1 000 000.00
- Government Commitment: R 500 000.00
- Private Sector Investment Required: R500 000.00
Potential investors / interested parties are encouraged to contact the Agency below with more details about your interest in the project.
Please Ref. Joe Gqabi Online Tourism when replying. Thank you.