- Catalytic Project: Category B (projects in preparation)
The Virginia Airport site lies in the northern suburbs of Durban, along the M4 North (now known as Ruth First), towards the Gateway shopping complex on the East of the Umhlanga Town Centre. It has the following features:
- 9 800 m² development potential
- ± R6.1-billion investment
- Commercial/Leisure development
- 50 000 job creation potential
- Investment Value: R6.1-billion
- Rates Income: R165-million per annum
- Job Creation: 50 000 (inclusive of permanent and temporary)
- The unsolicited bid is being considered by the Municipality.
Key issues / challenges
- Vehement opposition to the project by certain sections of the community
- Environmental and water infrastructure approval
- Shortage of funding for bulk infrastructure
Response and way forward
Date for the sitting of a special BAC where the decision on the unsolicited bid needs to be pronounced soon, in order to conclude on the matter and take the project to the next level.
Contact / enquire
For the most current update on opportunities, project progress, outstanding actions and investment requirements, please contact Invest Durban.