Durban Film City
The Durban Flm City development is a Category B Catalytic Project.
- The currently vacant 21 hectare “L-shaped” site near North Beach is part of the Kings Park Precinct, within the broader Inner City redevelopment.
- The project is made up of five major components, namely:
- the Hotel and Residential Beachfront Zone (“Ocean Drive”);
- the Film Industry Precinct (“Freedom Square”);
- Film Festival Park;
- Markets of the World and
- The Film Studio Precinct (“Ethekwini Film Studios”).
- Investment Value: R7.5-billion
- Annual Rates: R140-million
- Construction Jobs: 17 000
- Permanent Jobs: 4 300
- Other Benefits: It is the intention that this development will act as a catalysts for the film industry in Durban, while at the same time breathing new life into the beachfront and surrounding areas, including support to the ICC, soccer- and rugby stadiums within the precinct.
- High level conceptual site development framework and vision for the site received from the developer.
- Land being transferred from National Department of Public Works (DPW) to eThekwini Municipality – stalled
- Consultants are busy preparing the rezoning and consolidation application for submission to the Municipality.
Key issues / challenges
- Land Transfers: Although a sale agreement has been entered into between the developer and the Municipality, the land is still in the process of being transferred back to the Municipality from Department of Public Works.
- Need to ensure integration and alignment with other catalytic projects planned within the Kings Park Sports Precinct as part of the Inner City Regeneration Plan.
Response and way forward
- Ongoing correspondence with the Department of Public Works and National Treasury officials to try and expedite the transfer process of the land back to the Municipality.
- Workshops with other developers and the planning teams to ensure alignment and shared vision for the broader precinct.
*As at March 2017
Contact / enquire
For the most current update on opportunities, project progress, outstanding actions and investment requirements, please contact Invest Durban.