- Location: Joe Gqabi District, Eastern Cape, South Africa
- Nearest Towns/Cities: Ugie, Maclear, Mt Fletcher
- Project Stage: Successful/Preferred bidder
- Land Use Categories: Municipal
- Type of Project: Greenfield
- Type of Private Sector involvement required: Public-Private-Partnership (PPP), Equity Partners/ Investors
The Joe Gqabi District Municipality (JGDM) and its local municipalities have an obligation to provide adequate housing for the citizens of the district. In striving to fulfill this obligation, Elundini Local Municipality signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoA) with the Joe Gqabi Economic Development Agency (JoGEDA) to facilitate the process for middle-income housing to be developed in Ugie, a town within Elundini Local Municipality. This decision passed as a Council Resolution.
A partially-serviced site of 16.5 hectare forming part of Erf 2886 in the Ugie central business district was identified and set aside for this development.
JoGEDA through an open bidding process (Bid no. JOGEDA/SCM/07/2019/20) appointed R & G Group of Consultants as developers for this project. As per the currently approved township establishment, there are 116 stands sized between 600m² and 800m². The proposed development is for 232 middle-income houses.
Primary Drivers & Investment Proposition
The overall goal of this proposed developed is to provide a better standard of living for the community of Elundini Municipality and with the overall aim of attracting skills and economic development to the area.
The development seeks to address the need for proper housing for the beneficiaries in and around Ugie. Integrated housing and improved quality of household life is the focus and it is defined by:
- Access to adequate accommodation that is suitable, appropriately located and affordable
- Access to basic services such as water, sanitation, refuse removal and electricity
- Security of tenure irrespective of ownership or rental
- Access to social services and economic opportunities within reasonable distance
Studies Completed / Documents Available
- Environmental Impact Study
- Funding Proposal
Potential investment partners are encouraged to send their details and a brief introduction to the Joe Gqabi Economic Development Agency (JoGEDA):
Please Ref. Elundini Middle-Income Housing when replying. Thank you.