Elundini & Senqu Rural Water Supply
Location: Joe Gqabi District, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Nearest Towns/Cities: Lady Grey, Sterkspruit, Maclear, Mt. Fletcher, Burgersdorp
Type of Project: Greenfield
Type of Private Sector involvement required: Equity Partners/ Investors, BBBEEE Equity partners/ Investors
Through a council resolution, Joe Gqabi District Municipality (JGDM) appointed Joe Gqabi Economic Development Agency as the Implementing Agent (IA) of the water programme that caters for rural areas of Senqu and Elundini Local Municipality.
This programme is funded by Municipal Infrastructure Grant (MIG) in the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs and Water and Sanitation Infrastructure Grant in the Department of Water and Sanitation.
The scope of the programme entails the following:
- Baseline survey and household registration,
- Hydrological investigation which includes Water Source Development (groundwater), including re-drilling of (possible deepening and revival of existing or totally new) boreholes,
- Social facilitation and community mobilization, health, hygiene and user education,
- Construction of basic rural water facilities including the following:
- Equipping of tested boreholes,
- Construction of pump houses where new boreholes will be drilled and,
- Limited reticulation to the existing infrastructure and draw-offs where new boreholes will be drilled,
- Quality control, monitoring and evaluation.
Improve access to safe, reliable water supplies and sanitation services, recognizing that lack of access to these resources are a barrier to growth and health.
Government Support & Incentives
- R42-million for 2023
Potential investment partners are encouraged to send their details and a brief introduction to the Joe Gqabi Economic Development Agency (JoGEDA):
Please Ref. Elundini & Senqu Rural Water Supply when replying. Thank you.