- Catalytic Project: Category A (in or near implementation)
- Area: Inner City
The Warwick Precinct redevelopment project aims to restructure transport facilities and operations, as well as social economic activities and social fabric, within a wider strategic framework for the area.
- Projects underway in the Warwick area include the Berea Station Mall, a taxi holding facility, the creation of a cold room storage facility and upgrading of informal trade infrastructure.
- The project is crucial in promoting linkages between work and residential destinations.
- The Precinct accommodates vast number of commuters and therefore the area has developed into a major economic node, boasting student accommodation, retail and housing opportunities.
- Investment value: R1.3-billion
- Annual rates: R250,000 per annum
- Construction jobs: 3 500
- Permanent jobs: 2 670
- Urban designs and building plans complete for the mall and taxi facility and awaiting city’s approval.
- Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) is ready to be signed by all three parties.
- Draft Council report for budget approval complete awaiting for the signed MOA.
Key issues / challenges
- Delays in signing of the MOA by PRASA and the developer.
- Infrastructure funding shortages.
- Potential community conflicts based on previous projects.
Response and way forward
- Continuous stakeholder forums, including the community and City Councillors.
- Engagement with PRASA through National Treasury is underway.
- Alternative forms of infrastructure funding are being explored through inter-alia public-private-partnership.
*As at March 2017
Contact / enquire
For the most current update on opportunities, project progress, outstanding actions and investment requirements, please contact Invest Durban.