Finningley Eco Estate
- Catalytic Projects: Category B (projects in preparation)
- Modelled on self-sustainability, Finningley is a mixed use development that looks at creating ‘live, work and play’ environments, while underpinned by self-sustaining infrastructure.
- Finningley is a 20-year project, to be implemented in phases.
This 3000 ha piece of real estate will transform the South of Durban into a ‘City within a City’. It will present:
- A variety of residential opportunities in the form of houses and other dwelling units
- Commercial opportunities of varying scale
- Offices that support the corridor
- Social facilities which will form a key component of this work
- Open spaces and recreational facilities
- Educational facilities ranging from primary to tertiary
- Agricultural opportunities
- Investment Value: R45-billion
- Annual Rates: R1.2-billion
- Permanent Jobs: 277 000
- Other: Sustainable Communities
- Overall Development Framework Plan is being workshopped.
- First SPLUMA application is dependent on clearance from National Government.
- Compatibility with proposed infrastructure might be a challenge
- Act 70/70 authorisation
Response and way forward
- Meeting with MEC occurred 30 September 2016. Purpose to facilitate the approval of the 3 items above.
- Request by City to Developer – no impact on City Infrastructure.
*As at March 2017
Contact / enquire
For the most current update on opportunities, project progress, outstanding actions and investment requirements, please contact Invest Durban.