Rural Household Sanitation Project
Location: Joe Gqabi District, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Nearest Towns/Cities: Aliwal North, Mt Fletcher, Sterkspruit, Maclear, Ugie, Herschel
Project Stage: Operations Phase / Construction Complete
Land Use Categories: Property and Infrastructure Development
Studies Completed: Environmental Impact Study, Business Plan
Type of Private Sector involvement required: Public-Private-Partnership, Equity partners/Investors
Through a Council Resolution, Joe Gqabi District Municipality (JGDM) appointed Joe Gqabi Economic Development Agency (JoGEDA) as the Implementing Agent (IA) of the Water and Sanitation programme that caters for rural areas of Senqu and Elundini Local Municipality.
This programme is funded by Municipal Infrastructure Grant (MIG) in the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs and Water and Sanitation Infrastructure Grant in the Department of Water and Sanitation.
The programme is aimed at eradicating the Senqu rural household sanitation backlogs by providing basic level of sanitation services to households.
The scope of the programme is as follows:
- Siting, digging, checking and approving the quality of pits before lining
- Constructing, checking and approving quality of pit lining
- Employing, managing and paying builders and other community workers
- Assembling, checking and approving erected top structures
- Facilitating the signing of Acceptance Letters for pit lining
- Facilitating the signing of the Householder’s VIP Toilet Acceptance Certificate
- Numbering of all completed VIP toilets
- Invoicing and submitting all required supporting documentation
- Eliminate sanitation-related contamination routes and diseases.
- Eliminate water-related contamination routes and diseases.
- Encourage household, food and personal hygiene
- Promote environmental health and waste disposal methods
- Eliminate land and water pollution
- Eliminate poor sanitation, poor water quality and poor environmental hygiene on HIV /AIDS sufferers
- User education (how to use toilet facilities)
- Operation and maintenance (how to improve, maintain and clean toilet facilities)
Investment required: R12 000 000 /annum
Potential investment partners are encouraged to send their details and a brief introduction to the Joe Gqabi Economic Development Agency (JoGEDA):
Please Ref. Household Sanitation Project when replying. Thank you.