Cato Ridge Dry Port
- Project location: eThekwini Metro, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- Economic sector: Transportation, logistics and supply chain, infrastructure.
Brief project overview
The project aims to develop a strategic Dry Port in Cato Ridge as a back-of-port facility that will contribute to decongestion at the Port of Durban and within the Durban CBD, thereby creating additional capacity for the Port of Durban. The facility will be an integrated logistic hub with associated value-added services.
This includes the development of the following four (4) catalytic core projects:
1. Truck Stop and Staging
- Mega Truck Stop and Staging with various amenities, such as an overnight facility, 700 to 1 000 parking bays for trucks, a fuel station, convenience stores, a driver’s wellness centre, a pharmacy, and truck and tyre repair facilities. This will allow for the co-ordination of traffic and an eradication of congestion.
2. Inland Port / Intermodal Terminal
- Short-term: Upgrade of the current Cato Ridge Transnet Interim Terminal (CATCON) and extend its through-put to 30 000 TEUs p.a.
- Medium-term: Development of a 20 hectare site for an Interim Intermodal Terminal, Truck Staging and Container Freight Station with warehousing to have a throughput capacity of approx 110 000 TEUs p.a.
- Long-term: At full development with envisaged maximum container annual throughput capacity of approximately 1 000 000 TEUs.
3. Logistics and Industrial Parks
- Warehouse facility for added container services such as stuffing and destuffing. The Industrial Park will house various manufacturing facilities.
4. Tanks Farm and Pipeline
- Develop a Petroleum Product Storage facility with an estimated annual throughput capacity of 3 168 000 litres.
Total investment value: R20-billion ($1.4-billion)
- 5 000 temporary jobs and
- 6 000 permanent jobs to be created by the project.
- The project is currently at pre-feasibility stage; however, the Interim Intermodal Feasibility phase’s financial model and business plan are 95% complete, with construction scheduled for this phase of the project to start in 2020
- Tank Farm Pre-feasibility Study – Completed
- Cato Ridge Inland Port/Intermodal Terminal and Truck Staging (CRIT) – Feasibility Study underway
- Logistics and Industrial Park – In progress
- The project Master Plan (inclusive of proposed road network) has been completed
- Project is at pre-feasibility stage, which is partly financed by the IDC
- The project developers are sourcing project funding for the tank farm studies
- Project seeks equity funding partners
- Industrial Development Corporation (IDC)
- AmaXimba Development Trust (Pty) Ltd
- Provincial Government
- eThekweni Metro
Contact the team
To enquire about opportunities in this project, kindly contact the team here:
(please use the words Cato Ridge Dry Port in the subject line)