Investment value: R35.6-billion
City contribution: R620-million
Developer contribution: R35-billion
Start and finish date: 2016–2030
Jobs created: 11 000 (Construction) and 6 750 (Operations)
Annual revenue: R200-million
Progress to date:*
- Watermains upgrade along Mahatma Gandhi Rd and Anton Lembede St has commenced with the completion end of the 2021. Combined value of construction approximately R200-million.
- Point Prominade has been completed.
- Municipality to take over DPWMA maintenance infrastructure in 2021/22.
- DPWMA to continue with Top-Up services only. Legal unit assisting with this
Next steps underway:
- Dissolving of the Point Precinct Trust (PPT), process to commence by Legal.
- DPDC Board representation.
- The MSC Terminal is currently underway with construction (50-60% Completion) and will be completed August 2021. MSC Passenger Cruise Terminal is valued at approximately R200-million.
- Harbour Promenade – Extension of the Point promenade by Transnet valued at approximately R30 million. The Design & Tender Documentation has been completed however due to the budget constraints, this is currently on hold and anticipated to commence July 2021.
Contact for more information:
For more information about investment opportunities relating to this project, please contact Invest Durban with Point Waterfront Development as reference in the subject line: