Market Access: the impact of Covid-19 on agri-food trade in sub-Saharan Africa
Featuring industry case studies: adjusting business models for COVID-19
Join the African Agri Council and a team of experts for our virtual event ‘Market Access: the impact of COVID-19 on agri-food trade in Sub-Saharan Africa’ on 28 July 2020 at 10:00 SAST.
As the COVID-19 outbreak continues a contraction in both the supply and demand for agricultural products and disruptions in trade and logistics are radically exacerbating food insecurity in Africa. Governments have responded to COVID-19 by implementing a raft of containment measures including stricter border controls.
Ensuring the continued functioning of global and national food supply chains will be crucial in securing food supply and preventing a food crisis. This virtual event features case study presenters discussing how their agri-food business sectors are adjusting practices and policies to successfully meet the challenges created by the pandemic.
Themes being addressed
- COVID-19 and trade in Sub-Saharan Africa: Impacts and policy response
- Markets – an extremely high-risk area
- Facilitating the free movement of goods and services during the COVID-19 pandemic period
- EAC Partner States adoption of the EAC Regional Electronic Cargo and Drivers Tracking System
- A lesson on food safety for fresh produce markets
- Curbing logjams and keeping the supply chain system going – new thinking is the order of the day
- Impacts on freight forwarders and logistics operators
- How market access-specialized platforms and marketplaces are facilitating the trend of more food and agro purchases moving online
- Hon Dr Peter Mathuki, CEO/Executive Director, East African Business Council (EABC)
- Ben Leyka, CEO, African Agri Council
- Jon Offei-Ansah, Publisher, Africa Briefing, UK
- Trudi Hartzenberg, Executive Director, tralac
- Desiderio Fernandes, President (& Founder / MD of Decom Limitada), The Federation of Clearing and Forwarding Associations of Southern Africa (FCFASA)
- Francois Knowles, Registrar, Agricultural Produce Agents Council, APAC
- Gjalt Hooghiemstra, Group Facilities Manager, RSA Group
- Lovemore Bingandadi, Coordinator-SADC COVID19 Trade and Transport Facilitation Cell
- Jaco Oosthuizen, CEO, RSA Group
- Dickson Kimathi, Head of Agriculture, Kenya Horticulture Exporting (KHE) and Director, Fresh Producer Exporters Association of Kenya (FPEAK)