The explosive growth of the Halaal industry in Africa is creating many trade and business opportunities. From food to pharmaceuticals, personal care and cosmetics to tourism, Halaal is big business.
The Global Trade Show of Networking & Matchmaking South Africa, taking place from 29 to 31 July 2019 at Gallagher Convention Centre in Midrand, Gauteng, is playing a crucial role in facilitating trade opportunities in the Halaal industry. The South African National Halaal Authority (SANHA) is one of a growing number of Halaal organisations supporting the show.
South Africa is a leading producer of Halaal products worldwide, despite its relatively small Muslim population. But the opportunities are significant. “GTS attracts participants from around the world,” explains Anina Hough of GTS Africa, organisers of the show. “It offers a versatile and effective platform for trade: intra-Africa, inter-Africa, continental and global”. Participating countries in this year’s show include Belarus, Canada, Japan and Namibia.
With the Muslim population growing at double the rate of the non-Muslim world, it is predicted that, by 2060, the global Muslim population will comprise 31% of the total global population. SANHA is an international non-profit organisation which promotes professionalism and excellence in the certification of Halaal food and other related products.
Ebi Lockhat, Public Relations Officer at SANHA, is excited at the business linkages the show creates. “There are numerous and exciting growth opportunities for the Halaal industry in several sectors, including food and beverages, as well as trade. GTS is an excellent platform to discover new products, learn about new technologies, and experience the latest trends. SANHA also uses GTS to foster new partnerships and seek out new opportunities – from around the world.”
In addition to the extensive exhibition, a number of free-to-attend workshops, seminars and matchmaking events are taking place at GTS 2019. These include:
- Business-to-Business matchmaking sessions
- Workshops focusing on how to access international markets
- An Entrepreneurs in Action series
- A Women in Business Roundtable
An international trade and business exhibition, GTS comprises 4 mini-exhibitions:
- Tools and Build South Africa 2019 (TABS) – focusing on tools, hardware & building supplies,
- Household and Appliances 2019 (HAS) – showcasing housewares, home appliances & furniture,
- Food and Beverage South Africa 2019 (FBS) – exhibiting food & beverage products, and
- Smart Electronics Security 2019 (SES) – focusing on smart electronics & security products.