Working together to grow the West Coast economy.
Aims and objectives
- Establish robust and reliable dialogue of large firms with relevant bodies in the public sector.
- Prioritise and reduce stifling factors, case-by-case.
- Focus on growing the West Coast District economy.
- Up to 20 large/leading firms in the West Coast District (in terms of size and innovation)
- Government: municipal, provincial, national
- Relevant State-Owned Entities (SOEs)
- Representatives of key sector clusters could be invited to join at a later stage.
Firms: ArcelorMittalSA, Club Mykonos, Duferco, Kaap-Agri, Kropz, Mittal, Mineral Sands Resources (MSR), Oceana, Pioneer, PPC, Sea Harvest, Swartland Boudienste, Tronox.
Government: Bergrivier Local Municipality, Cederberg LM, Matzikama LM, Saldanha Bay LM, Swartland LM, West Coast District Municipality.
Province: Department of Economic Development and Tourism, covering water, environment, energy, infrastructure and Spatial Development Frameworks.
National: National Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs and Industrial Development Corporation: National Infrastructure Plan has various Strategic Integrated Projects. Number 5 centres on Saldanha-Northern Cape development corridor and includes a focus on:
Integrated rail and port expansion:
- Back-of-port industrial capacity (including an IDZ).
- Strengthening maritime support capacity for oil and gas along African West Coast.
- Expansion of iron-ore mining production and beneficiation.
State Owned Enterprises:
IDZ, Eskom, Transnet Ports, Transnet Rail.
Roles and responsibilities
- Work together as a team, across institutional boundaries.
- Participate and contribute to productive meetings.
- Ongoing, anytime solution development and online group collaboration.
- Record progress and keep everyone informed.
- Work as a cross-institutional team to raise and resolve issues.
- Discuss and build solutions for a more vibrant West Coast economy.
- Promote the West Coast and support others doing the same.