South Africa’s low economic growth has been accompanied by a low labour absorption rate, which resulted in a high level of unemployment.
The Cape Chamber’s Human Resources Portfolio Committee invites you to attend an engagement with Professor Haroon Bhorat who is a Professor of Economics at the School of Economics and a Director of the Development Policy Research Unit at the University of Cape Town.
Professor Bhorat will discuss why economic activity in South Africa is not more labour-intensive given the vast numbers of unemployment and what can be done to reverse the trends and set the South African economy on a more labour-intensive growth path.
The meeting will focus on:
- The growth trap in South Africa;
- The advent of de-industrialisation – global and South African evidence;
- Manufacturing and low-wage employment – a viable growth strategy?;
- Economic growth – building economic complexity; and
- Looking to the future – South Africa’s labour force.
- Date: Thursday, 26 September 2019
- Venue: Cape Chamber of Commerce
- Time: 11:00 – 12:30
- Secretariat: Call Carmen Ellman on 021 402 4300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cost per person: Members: Free | Non-members: R250
No refunds for cancellations or no shows within 48 hours of the event.
Book online | Don’t want to book online? Call us on 021 402 4300.
Member tickets are for paid-up members of the Chamber, and not just registered users of the website.
The Chamber reserves the Right of Admission.