The Musina SEZ will be located in multi-sites found in two municipalities, namely Musina and Makhado in the Vhembe District of Limpopo Province.
Musina Local Municipality is located in the northern part of the Vhembe District Municipality. The municipality is strategically placed between South Africa and Zimbabwe and therefore also linked to other SADC countries, such as Zambia, Mozambique, Tanzania, Malawi and Kenya.
Musina Municipality is connected to the Kruger National Park in the east, Gauteng to the south and Botswana to the west. It is linked to the major centres in South Africa via the N1 route to Pretoria and Johannesburg.
The Zimbabwe link is one of the busiest roads in Africa. This position and economic importance provides various opportunities to be explored by the SEZ.
- Close proximity to mineral resources required for the production of steel and petrochemicals.
- Proximity to the border between SA and Zimbabwe that results in good access to the SADC market and cross-border trade activity.
- Ideal location on the main north-south N1 corridor, which enables strong logistics drivers in support of the envisaged logistics cluster.
- High possibility for inter-modal facilities involving road and rail, including transfer of cargo from road to rail.
- Agriculture support industries, including fertiliser plants based on the proximity to Foskor in Phalaborwa.
- International logistics companies already use the Cape to Cairo route.
Musina SEZ opportunities
The initial set-up of the SEZ involves the establishment of the metallurgical cluster zone, a dry port zone to handle various logistics activities and linking up with sea ports in the country and neighbouring countries, with a potential of adding a petrochemical cluster zone in the future.
The following opportunities have been identified:
Light and medium industries
- Vehicle export preparation and distribution centre
- Import and export goods consolidation centre
- Warehouses including cold-storage facilities
- lntermodal facilities including container-handling facility
- Medium- and heavy-duty vehicle service centre
- Vehicle SKD assembly workshop
- Electronic, chemical and other manufacturing and assembly opportunities
- Coking plant
- Thermal power plant
- Ferrochrome plant
- Ferrosilicon plant
- Pig-iron metallurgy plant
- Steel plant
- Stainless-steel plant
- Lime plant
- Envisaged Musina Container Terminal (dry port operation)
- Coke coal plant and power generation
- Coal-to-liquids plant
- Methanol plant
- Synthetic bitumen plant
- Small solar plant
- Plasma waste gasification plant
- Water treatment plant
For more information about these opportunities, please contact LEDA (the Limpopo Economic Development Agency).