Flagship mixed-use development that forms an integral part of the Ekurhuleni Aerotropolis
- +/- 800 ha of development land
- At the core of the Albertina Sisulu Corridor
- Estimated R2-billion already invested
- Up to 6 000 000 m² of bulk will eventually be developed with a present net value of R60-billion
Riverfields Development Framework
The Riverfields Vision
“To create a sustainable urban node that facilitates a thriving economy and community.”
- Promote intensity and complexity within the development rather than urban sprawl
- Quality public environments and legibility through investment in landscaping of streets, pedestrian ways, signage, parks, public squares.
- Emphasis on public transport and pedestrian movement, through green routes and nodes on 5-10 minute walks, and integrating the local bus system with the Gautrain and PRASA rail systems.
- Promote a mix of land use patterns within the area in order to integrate retail, industrial, residential and institutional uses.
- Emphasis on a sustainable environment through architecture, stormwater management, renewable energy, preservation of wetlands, greywater possibilities, security management.
Riverfields Development is located northeast of the existing Kempton Park CBD and the Albertina Sisulu Freeway (R21), situated between O.R. Tambo International Airport and Tshwane.
Perfect positioning at the heart of a global city region
- R21/ Albertina Sisulu Direct access
- OR Tambo 12 min
- Gautrain Rhodesfield 17 min
- Germiston CBD 27 min
- Pretoria CBD 26 min
- Jo’burg CBD 31 min
- Sandton CBD 45 min
- Midrand CBD 25 min
- Gautrain bus stop (RF1 -14) 6 min
- Kaalfontein station 22 min
- Birchleigh station 30 min
Turnkey office and residential solutions now available for buyers and tenants.
Contact the City of Ekurhuleni to learn more about current opportunities available within this development.
Progress of Development
The Riverfields Development commenced in 1998 and the developments listed below have been completed or are in the planning stage.
- Glen Erasmia Boulevard (430 residential stands) and Zimbali Cluster Development.
- Gleneagle Estate (392 residential stands), 4 cluster developments (to be developed) clubhouse, tennis court, squash court and extensive parks.
- The Gleneagle Office Park, currently being serviced and is practically sold out.
- Plumbago Business Park, which is fully serviced and in the process of being developed. John Deere and Blue Sky Logistics have already taken occupation.
- Plumbago Logistics Park, currently being serviced. The first tenant to occupy will be DB Schenker Logistics Head Office.
- The Riverfields Retail Mall (see below) will be established on the south-western intersection of the R21 and R25.
Infrastructure investment to date
Infrastructure installed to date:
- Sewer – R25 650 253,00
- Water – R17 893 295,00
- Electricity – R91 947 973,00
- Roads – R232 838 702,00
- Total – R368 330 223,00
Road infrastructure invested to date:
- Monument Road Extension
- Mulder Road Under Pass to Dann Road (K121)
- Portion of the R21 Expressway – Serengeti to First Road, Bredell
- Under Pass – Links Expressway to Plumbago Park and Regional Shopping Centre (Project Excellence Award – Structures and Buildings Winner – 2016)
- R21 / R23 Intersections
- Riverfields Boulevard
- Blaauwklippen Avenue
Infrastructure investment requirements
- PWV 15 (R21 Highway to N12 Highway )
- R21 Expressway (between 1st and 7th Avenue)
- K155 upgrade
- Monument Road (4 lanes)
- Riverfields Boulevard Extension
Water and Sanitation
- Outfall Sewer Line from Pomona to Serengeti Pump Station
- Bredell Water Tower
- New substation & 88KV line
- Riverfields Development will ultimately allow for the establishment of a massive new urban conglomeration within the north of the Ekurhuleni.
- It will act as a catalyst for economic development and job creation within a strategically located position adjacent to the Albertina Sisulu Freeway.
- The development’s proximity to the OR Tambo International Airport will open up considerable development opportunities to attract international and local investment.
- The development will be of an integrated nature accommodating all land-uses, residential opportunities and social facilities underpinning the establishment of a new town.
Land use categories
- Low density residential (below 60 units per ha)
- Medium density residential (60 units per ha – 150 units per ha)
- High density residential (above 150 units per hectare)
- Business (retail, restaurants, personal service industries etc.)
- Warehouse, distribution, logistics centers
- Public and private open space
Proclaimed land use rights
- 838 full title stands
- 622 sectional title units
- Retail – 46 622 m²
- Industrial – 847 217 m²
- Offices – 36 651 m²
Contact the City of Ekurhuleni to learn more about current business and investment opportunities available within this development.
The map below indicates the land use categories of Riverfields Development:
Project pipeline (2017 – 2020)
- Industrial / Commercial Townships
- Regional Shopping Centre (80 000 m²)
- Neighbourhood Shopping Centre (13 500 m²)
- Community Centre / Sport Precinct / Schools
- Swallow Hills – Residential Estate
- Social Housing
|Buss 1||Buss 4||Ind.||Special||Retail||Educ.|
|Proclamation on 2017 – 2021||170||1 513||1 683||80 000||61 299||330 757||73 120||13 500||90 022|
|R706 273||R116 975 151||9 656||7 733|
Industrial / Commercial Townships
Regional Shopping Centre (Riverfields Mall)
Neighbourhood Shopping Centre (Harvest Square)
Community Centre & School Precinct
Proposed development (2021 – 2036)
|Timeframe||Area m²||Bulk m²||Res. 1
|Buss 1||Buss 4||Ind.||Special||Retail|
|Proclamation on 2021 – 2025||2 255 454||1 616 156||426||667||1 093||286 861||0||751 558||284 394||13 338|
|Proclamation on 2026 – 2030||5 677 539||3 617 945||500||4 730||5 230||234 109||55 800||2 522 759||0||0|
|Proclamation on 2031 – 2036||337 627||222 121||0||102||102||213 636||0||0||0||0|
|Grand Totals||8 270 620||5 456 222||926||5 499||6 425||734 606||55 799||3 274 317||284 394||13 338|
|2021-2025||R940 288||R272 505 153||14 496||16 951|
|2026-2030||R2 494 872||R507 610 652||33 502||26 443|
|2031-2036||R154 633||R41 006 755||1 910||4 340|
|Total||R3 589 793||R821 122 560||49 908||47 734|
Contact / enquire
Contact the City of Ekurhuleni to enquire about opportunities that are currently available within this development.